Some random musings about my time on my bike while riding across Iowa with Team Cuisine.

Friday, July 27, 2018

Thursday?

First off, I forgot to mention that Wednesday night in Newton we had some special guests, uncle jerry and aunt jo. Jerry is riding 3 days and jo is his support team. Jo has dined with us before but jerry was new to our world and it seemed like they both had a great time. It was really special to have them there!

As usual I'm lost in the week. I know there were no trees for the hammock Wednesday and rain in the forecast so it was tent for me. With the amazing houses we've stayed at this year I will not complain one bit. It did however adjust some body parts to add some more soreness to the body.

Thursday's ride may have been the toughest yet. A long day with a lot of hills I was physically fine but mentally wiped out. I never felt that great on the bike all day despite being physically ok but luckily, when thought all was lost we had a wonderfully paved road with a tail wind for the final 10 miles which really helped. The overnight house was close to town so that meant after dinner it was time to go down and see Pork Tornado rock out covers of pop songs with a heavy rock tinge. It was great to see these guys again and we had a blast. I did have to tent again that night and when we arrived back to camp late I realized that in left the sleeping pad in the truck and that was locked home or the night so I was a little concerned about the night but oh well.

Dinner was chicks night! Morgan came in to relieve Dan for the last few days and her uncle's family recipe for grilled/basted chicken was outstanding. Along with the chicken we had a green bean salad and an onion/yellow squash dish that made up in flavor for how ugly it was. We also had sweet corn for the first time at dinner (I have had it 4 times at lunches) as well as a wonderful bread baked by Dan's baker friend. To top off the meal Morgan made he famous chocolate cake. It was heavenly.

No comments: