Some random musings about my time on my bike while riding across Iowa with Team Cuisine.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

The food recap

After having time to digest the week I started thinking of the food.

This week our chef team of Beau, Dan and Morgan rocked, as usual. With kicking off the week with my favorite of 'breakfast for dinner" things just got better and better. We discussed on the bus home all of our favorite meals and after everyone argued back and forth we decided that there is no clear winner of "best dinner of the week" since we all seemed to enjoy every last bite. It is amazing that after a week like that I can come home heavier than when I left.

It is easy for me to discuss the dinners because of the talent we have in our kitchen but they only do dinner so we are on our own for breakfast and lunch. What we do for that is stop in the towns or the food trucks that follow us along for the week. Here are some of the memorable meals that we had this week:

Breakfast:

Reinhart family farms-egg souflee sandwiches on foccaccia with 3 different choices of cheese.

Slipstream-a bowl of yogurt with a homemade granola and fresh blueberries.

Farm Kids-a group of actual farm kids that make up a breakfast bowl with eggs, bacon and a host of other toppings. These kids amaze me with how hard they work.

Lunch:

Custom grilled cheese at a food stand. You could add bacon, which of course I did, and a fresh tomato slice, also did that. For something so simple these were really good.

Salad bar. That's right a salad bar! A new addition in the towns this year was new to us for sure and while I did not partake in this my teammates sure loved it.

Dessert:

Pie:
One tradition of ragbrai is eating pie. I did not partake every day on pie, mainly because I switched between that and the ice cream sandwiches. The last stop we made this year was just a quick stop at a church where there were some nice Amish folks selling probably the best peice of black raspberry pie I have ever had. If I had more time I would have had more.

The ice cream sandwiches:
Thelma's ice cream sandwiches is a food truck that seemed to expand this year. I saw them on the road and in the towns. I did only make 2 stops to Thelma's this year but that was more because the lines were so long. I did have my standard peanut butter cookie with chocolate ice cream in the middle the first time but then I branched out and got the peanut butter cookie with banana ice cream. I can't say which one was better because they were both incredibly good.

I think thay wraps up the food for this year. Next year I am really going to try weighing myself before and after just to see.

No comments: